Not only is Cape Town the Mecca of arts and culture in South Africa and the design capital of the world, it is also a popular place for events of every description. Nowhere in South Africa is there so much on-the-go at all times. There is never a day in Cape Town where some or other event, expo, play, show, sports tournament or festival is not taking place.
Some of these include:
Theatres such as the Baxter theatre provide an ongoing menu of classical music, dance, drama, comedy, music shows and orations every day of the year.
Other theatres include:
- The Fugard Theatre in District Six
- Alexander Bar Upstairs Theatre
- Barnyard Theatre
- Artscape Theatre
- Maynardville Open-Air Theatre
Dinner theatres such as:
o Theatre on The Bay
o Richard’s Bistro
o Dinner theatre in Sea Point
- The OBZ street festival in Observatory takes place in early December
- Spier Arts Festivals take place in Stellenbosch from February to October
- Cape Town International Jazz Festival is a major musical event for fans of this genre
- Vodacom Funny Festival is a laugh a minute at the Baxter Theatre
- Cape Town Pride celebrates the gay and lesbian communities of Cape Town
- TRI Continental Film Festival, an international exposé of human rights-based films
- Cape Town Book Fair features everything to do with books and is held at the CTICC
- The Suidoosterfees is held in December at the Artscape Theatre to promote dance, music, theatre, film and fine art, and especially Afrikaans versions of these
- The well-known Cape Town Minstrel Carnival is a colourful street parade celebrating the Cape’s Malay history
- Kirstenbosch Sundowner Concerts in Newlands features the famous, and mildly famous, on stage every summer Sunday
- Rocking the Daisies Music Festival
Cape Town Fashion Week is THE place for both local and international fashionistas to mingle with their peers.
- Taste of Cape Town highlights the fantastic food and wine offerings of the Cape at the Jan van Riebeeck Sports Fields in the City Bowl
- V&A Waterfront Wine Affair
- Franschhoek Cap Classique & Champagne Festival is annual occasion
- Good Food & Wine Show and expo of all that’s good held at the CTICC
- Whisky Live Festival is on for those who like a tipple
Bands & Nightlife
Cape Town nightlife is epic, with clubs and pubs in every suburb. From the famous Long street establishments to the local inn, Cape Town will entertain you.
Sometimes great and sometimes challenging, the Cape Town weather makes this city ideal for major sports events, like:
- The L’Ormarins Queen’s Plate and the J&B Met are two of South Africa’s richest horse races, run at Kenilworth Race Course every year
- Cape Town International Kite Festival
- Discovery Cape Times Big Walk
- Major marathons on the cycling and running calendar:
o Cape Argus Cycle Tour
o Cape Town Marathon
o Two Oceans Marathon
Expos & Exhibitions
- Design Indaba Expo happens in late February
- Baba Indaba takes place in August
There are hundreds of markets on the go daily, weekly, monthly and annually in Cape Town such as the:
- Adderley Street Flower Market
- Holistic Lifestyle Fair
- The River Club Boutique Market
- Willowbridge Slow Market
- The Hout Bay Organic Market
- Kalk Bay Fresh Market
- Earth Fair Food
- Porter Estate Produce Market
These are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to events in Cape Town. The city is a thriving, interesting and well-organised metropolis, perfect for happenings of every kind.
Cape Town is usually earmarked for both local and international events of importance for the following reasons:
- English is the major language in Cape Town and one which is common to most nationalities.
- Cape Town is considered a centre of knowledge with four internationally recognised universities, many research centres and diverse institutions. It is also the legislative capital of South Africa.
- World-class multi-purpose venues such as the CTICC make Cape Town an excellent choice for any kind of event. The tourism infrastructure is well established with a first-class airport, just twenty minutes from the city centre, and an efficient public transport system.
- Cape Town is a port city with access to almost anything in the world.
- The city is easily accessed by major cities by means of Cape Town International Airport which is served by 20 international airlines every week.
- Internationally, Cape Town offers fantastic value for money.
- Accommodation options in Cape Town are vast, with every kind of establishment available – from five star hotels to simple bed and breakfast options. There are more than 20 000 rental rooms in Cape Town.
- The cultural diversity and hospitality of the Mother City is interesting, accepting and welcoming to visitors from every walk of life.
No wonder that Cape Town is considered the destination par excellence for events and conferences of every kind.
Read more about what to do in Cape Town.
Please Note: The details shared in this blog post around products and services, are correct at the time of publishing. However, with time some of this information may change. We recommend confirming information with suppliers prior to making final travel arrangements. If you do happen to find an issue with any information we’ve shared here, please feel free to contact us so that we can make the relevant changes.